Tuesday, January 31, 2012

What is the best way to tell a styles how you want your hair cut and styled?

Is it better to show a picture

Give them a detailed idea of the hair style you want

when you don't know the proper terms.What is the best way to tell a styles how you want your hair cut and styled?
Showing a picture is they best way for the stylist to know the direction you want to go %26amp; then ask you further questions. They have hairstyle magazines at most drug stores with tons of pics. Most salons also have hairstyle booksWhat is the best way to tell a styles how you want your hair cut and styled?
You really want to show them a picture, and if you're going to give a description trying to learn the proper terms is very very helpful. A picture gives them a perfect idea of what you want. Words are more open to interpretation. Their idea of ';shorter in the back'; may not be that same as your idea. Their idea of a ';classic bob'; may be different as well. Even if you do know hair styling terms there's still a degree of subjectivity.



It's also important to keep an eye on them during the cut, check out what's going on, ask polite questions if you need to, and be very clear about what you want. Do this as politely as possible, after all, it's your hair, and it's better to speak up sooner so that they have a clear idea of what you want and don't waste time.



Never tell them to just ';do what they want'; unless that's what you actually want. Make sure the style you desire is achievable with the hair texture and thickness you have. Ask for a styling lesson at the end of the cut so you'll know what to do at home, and make sure you listen to their product recommendations (you don't have to buy at the salon, or everything the recommend, but you can look for similar products elsewhere)
You should take a picture with you, and explain as best as you can how you want it. They will usually ask you questions about how you want it before they cut it. but if you want something specific make sure that you tell them, don't worry about knowing the proper terms if you explain they should know what you mean. I usually ask for a long side fringe, long side bits at the front turning inwards and short at the back with long layers.
You could show them a picture if you don't know them well or if you know they aren't very experienced yet. It may be good to give a picture so they can have a visual of what exactly you want. I've been going to my stylist for five years and she's very experienced...so I just tell her want I want. I usually say I want long layers, trim 1/2, and angled. If I want something different I bring in a picture so she knows what I'm talking about and I get what I want...and payed for.
You should bring at least one picture. I try to bring a few if I'm getting color and a cut, so my stylist knows exactly what I want and doesn't have to guess. Cut the pictures out instead of tearing out a full magazine page! I've gotten the wrong haircut before because the hairdresser thought I was looking at a different picture on the page - so definitely be specific when you talk to them!
You should bring in a picture of what you are looking for. Some terms are, add layers, angle it in the front... that kind of thing. This site has some cute pics if you need some haircut ideas:

http://www.perfectkarmabeauty.com/hairst/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment